Should You Cycle During Pregnancy?
Cycling is a great form of exercise that provides many benefits during pregnancy. But how safe is it, exactly? Can pregnant women continue to ride their bike or should they stay off the saddle for the duration of the pregnancy?
Benefits of Cycling During Pregnancy
There are many benefits to cycling during pregnancy, including:
- Helps improve cardiovascular health.
- Eases stress and improves mental wellbeing.
- Helps to improve posture.
- Maintains healthy muscle tone and strength.
- Improves circulation and helps to maintain a healthy weight.
Risks of Cycling During Pregnancy
Though cycling during pregnancy has its benefits, there are some potential risks to be aware of:
- Increased risk of injury – cycling carries a higher risk of traumatic injury during pregnancy, particularly if the bike is not adjusted properly for the pregnant person’s body.
- Increased risk of falling – pregnant cyclists may struggle with balance, making them more likely to fall off their bike.
- Risks to the baby – cycling during pregnancy carries a small risk that the baby may be exposed to higher levels of shock, vibration and fetal heat stress.
Tips for Safe Cycling During Pregnancy
If you have been regularly using a bike before becoming pregnant and feel comfortable doing so, there is no reason why you can’t continue riding. To stay safe and comfortable on the saddle, follow these tips:
- Get the right equipment – a well-fitting bike with a padded seat and adjustable handlebars will help to reduce the risk of discomfort or injury.
- Take it slow – it’s best to avoid any intense or fast-paced cycling, as this can increase your risk of injury.
- Stay well hydrated – dehydration can lead to exhaustion and cramping.
- Watch for warning signs – stop cycling immediately if you experience any abdominal pain, dizziness, dehydration, or any other discomfort.
Cycling during pregnancy can be done safely and has many benefits, but it’s important to be aware of the potential risks. Before riding, it’s best to speak to your healthcare practitioner and get the proper equipment. If you’re comfortable doing so, cycling can be a great way to stay in shape during your pregnancy.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.