Can You Experience Pregnancy Symptoms Before A Positive Test?
It’s natural to be curious if you and your partner are trying to conceive, and you may have questions about the symptoms of pregnancy before you might get a positive test result. While you probably won’t experience any pregnancy symptoms until after a positive test result, some women may indeed notice changes in their body before a positive test.
What are Symptoms of Pregnancy?
The most common early pregnancy symptoms include:
- Tender, swollen breasts
- Food cravings
When Do You Experience Pregnancy Symptoms?
Most women usually experience pregnancy symptoms around 6 – 8 days after ovulation, when implantation occurs. This is because the embryo implants into the endometrium (the lining of the uterus) and starts to produce the pregnancy hormone called Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG).
However, you may have pregnancy symptoms even before implantation, due to the rise in hormones during ovulation. Therefore, some women can experience some symptoms of pregnancy before even getting a positive result.
How Might It Be Different To Pre-Menstrual Symptoms?
It can be difficult to discern if the symptoms you are experiencing are in fact premenstrual, or if they are indicating pregnancy. Here is a list of some tell-tale signs that may indicate pregnancy before a positive test:
- Pregnancy symptoms appear a few days before the missed period, whereas premenstrual changes will appear a few days before the actual period.
- More severe symptoms – with pregnancy, past premenstrual symptoms may be intensified.
- Pregnancy symptoms tend to last longer; they don’t ease up once menstruation starts.
Whilst the majority of women won’t experience any noticeable symptoms before the positive test result, it is possible for some to experience slight changes in the body before implantation. If what you are feeling and experiencing is intensely different from your usual premenstrual symptoms and lasts for a longer period of time, it might be time to take a pregnancy test.
- Wilds, M. (2017). Can You Experience Pregnancy Symptoms Before a Positive Test? LoveToKnow. Retrieved from https://pregnancy.lovetoknow.com/can-you-experience-symptoms-pregnancy-positive-test
- (2021). When Do Pregnancy Symptoms Start? MedlinePlus. Retrieved from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000279.htm
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.