**What is Pregnancy Prolactin Levels?**
Pregnancy prolactin levels are hormone levels in the body that are closely linked to the pregnancy process. It is well known that changing hormone levels occur during the course of a pregnancy, and these changes can have a dramatic effect on how the body handles its resources and affects the baby’s development. These hormone changes are caused by the production of different types of hormones, and understanding these hormone levels is essential for monitoring a healthy pregnancy.
**The Role of Prolactin in Pregnancy**
Prolactin is a hormone that is produced mainly by the pituitary gland, and it plays an important role in development and lactation during pregnancy. It is known that the increase of the hormones estrogen, progesterone and prolactin will lead to a healthier pregnancy. Estrogen and progesterone maintain the pregnancy and help to prepare the body for childbirth, while prolactin triggers and coordinates parturition and lactation during pregnancy.
**Changes in Prolactin Levels During Pregnancy**
The changes in prolactin levels during pregnancy can be divided into 3 stages, as follows:
1. **First Trimester**: During the first trimester, the rise in prolactin levels can trigger feeling of illness, accompanied by a fast heartbeat, lightheadedness, dizziness, and headaches. The uterus also undergoes a rapid expansion in size with the increasing prolactin levels.
2. **Second & Third Trimester**: By the second and third trimester, the prolactin levels will have drastically increased and the mother will begin to experience lactation early on. The breasts become sensitive as the body prepares for the production of milk. This is also accompanied by a high secretion of Oxytocin, a hormone responsible for the stimulation of birth contractions and the start of labor.
3. **Post Delivery**: During the post-delivery, the prolactin levels will decrease as the uterus shrinks back to it’s original size and the body begins to go into the recovery period. The levels of these hormones will no longer directly affect the lactation process.
**Benefits of High Prolactin Levels During Pregnancy**
There are various benefits associated with high levels of prolactin in the body during pregnancy.
• Prolactin plays a key role in stimulating the growth and development of the fetus.
• High prolactin levels encourages a healthy lactation period, which helps the newborns to receive adequate nourishment.
• Higher levels of prolactin lead to an increased production of Oxytocin, which helps to induce labor contractions as the body prepares for childbirth.
• Increased levels of prolactin protect against infections, which enhances the health of both mother and baby.
• Increases in the hormone have been linked to a decrease in the risk of miscarriage or premature birth.
**Importance of Monitoring Pregnancy Prolactin Levels**
It is important that mothers monitor their prolactin levels during pregnancy in order to ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby. These hormone levels can affect the development of the baby and the mother’s health, and if they reach an extreme level they can have an adverse effect on the pregnancy. Therefore, regular checkups and the monitoring of prolactin levels should be conducted in order to keep track of the baby’s development, provide appropriate healthcare and ensure the well-being of the mother and baby.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.