Start With a Clean Slate: Cleanse
Making sure your skin is thoroughly cleansed is the foundation of any skincare routine, and that is especially true for pregnant women. Cleansers, specifically formulated for pregnancy skin, help by keeping pores clear and balancing the natural sebum oil production. Any cleanser with natural antioxidants like grapeseed, avocado, and jojoba oil can help nourish and hydrate the skin, combating the appearance of redness and flaky skin.
Exfoliating also has its place in a pregnancy skincare routine. But exfoliating products formulated with alpha hydroxy acids or beta hydroxy acids should be avoided, as they can both irritate the skin, and can also pass through the placenta, potentially harming the baby. Instead, look for gentle exfoliating masks with natural moisturizing extracts, like honey and oatmeal, to soften and hydrate the skin.
Moisturize to Combat Flakiness and Redness
To help prevent stretch marks, pregnant women should moisturize. Aloe vera and shea butter-based creams and lotions are ideal choices because they hydrate the skin and stimulate skin cell regeneration, reducing the appearance of redness, flaking, and stretch marks. Applying it after a shower or bath helps the skin to lock in moisture for longer.
Protect the Skin with Sunscreen
Protection from the sun is especially important for pregnant women, as well as those who have recently given birth. Look for a broad-spectrum (UVA and UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and apply it at least 15 minutes before going outside. Sun exposure during pregnancy can increase the risk of skin discoloration and sunburn, both of which can be permanently damaging.
Look for Natural Ingredients to Keep Skin Healthy
When selecting skincare products, pregnant women may want to look out for natural ingredients such as:
- Aloe Vera – Natural moisturizing extract to soothe and hydrate the skin.
- Grapeseed Oil – Natural antioxidant to nourish and protect the skin.
- Avocado Oil – Natural anti-inflammatory that contains essential fatty acids to nourish and protect the skin.
- Jojoba Oil – Natural emollient to soften, hydrate, and plump up the skin.
- Honey – Natural humectant to help the skin retain its natural moisture.
- Oatmeal – Natural exfoliant to gently cleanse and soften the skin.
Pregnant Women’s Skincare Routine Checklist
- Cleanse – Use a gentle cleanser formulated for pregnancy skin.
- Exfoliate – Avoid chemical exfoliants and instead use mild exfoliating masks with natural moisturizing extracts.
- Moisturize – Apply a moisturizer formulated for pregnant women to hydrate and reduce flakiness and redness.
- Protect – Use a broad-spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen to protect against sun damage.
- Natural Ingredients – Look for natural ingredients like Aloe Vera, Grapeseed oil, Avocado oil, Jojoba oil, Honey, and Oatmeal.
Following a tailored skincare routine that is specific to pregnant women and their needs can help keep skin healthy and glowing. By using natural ingredients, avoiding potential irritants, and protecting the skin with sunscreen, pregnant women can ensure their skin looks and feels its best throughout the nine months.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.