Taste Changes in Early Pregnancy
Taste changes are common and one of the earliest signs of pregnancy. This phenomenon is usually caused by the hormonal changes in the body combined with the increase in the sense of smell. Even the slightest change in the smell may lead to an unexpected food aversion or craving.
Types of Taste Changes During Pregnancy
Pregnant women may experience the following changes in taste:
- Food Cravings: Pregnant women may develop sudden cravings for certain types of food. Common cravings include sweets, salty food, and ice cream.
- Food Aversions: Pregnant women may also find that their taste preferences change. They may find food that they previously liked to be distasteful. Common food aversions include meat, dairy products, and eggs.
Common Causes of Taste Changes in Early Pregnancy
Taste changes in early pregnancy are often caused by hormonal changes. The levels of hormones such as estrogen and progesterone rise during pregnancy. These hormones can affect the sense of smell, making some foods more appealing and some taste less desirable.
In addition to hormones, other factors such as fatigue, stress, and even changes in eating habits can also contribute to taste changes.
How to Manage Taste Changes in Early Pregnancy
Although taste changes can be bothersome, they typically do not last throughout the pregnancy. Here are some tips to help manage them:
- Avoid foods that cause unpleasant cravings or aversions.
- Try to follow a balanced diet, with foods from all of the major food groups.
- Listen to your body and avoid eating too much or too little.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Eat small meals throughout the day to avoid feeling overly full or overly hungry.
- Talk to your doctor if your taste changes become severe and make it difficult for you to eat and drink.
Taste changes in early pregnancy are a normal occurrence and usually do not last throughout the pregnancy. However, if the changes become severe, it is best to talk to your doctor to determine the best way to manage them.
What foods can I eat during early pregnancy to help alleviate taste changes?
Some foods that could help alleviate taste changes during early pregnancy include: fruit smoothies, citrus fruits (lemon, lime, oranges, etc.), plain yogurt, peanut butter, cottage cheese, seeds and nuts, avocado, hummus, chia pudding, leafy greens, quinoa, oatmeal, low-fat milk, nut butters, banana, whole grain toast, roasted vegetables, and curry dishes.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.