Can Pregnant Women Drink Unpasteurized Juice?
Pregnant women are often given mixed advice about what is safe and what is off limits during their pregnancy, particularly when it comes to food and drink. Unpasteurized juice is one of those things that has differing opinions, and it’s important to understand both the upsides and downsides of drinking it while pregnant.
The Benefits of Unpasteurized Juice
Unpasteurized juice has some positives when it comes to pregnant women.
- Vitamin C Content: Unpasteurized juice is high in vitamins and minerals, especially ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Studies have shown that during pregnancy, a woman’s body needs more vitamin C than usual, so unpasteurized juice can be a great way to get your daily dose.
- Healthy Bacteria: Unpasteurized juice is full of healthy bacteria which can positively support a healthy gut. Pregnant women can often be more susceptible to digestive issues or constipation due to changes in their diet and lifestyle. The healthy bacteria in unpasteurized juice can help to combat this.
- Organic and Natural: Look for unpasteurized juice that is made from organic, local ingredients as otherwise it could be filled with added chemicals and preservatives. Unpasteurized juice made with natural ingredients are a great way to get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals without any nasties.
The Risks of Unpasteurized Juice
While there are some great benefits to drinking unpasteurized juice while pregnant, it’s important to remember that there are some risks associated with it, and pregnant women should be aware of them before they choose to drink it.
- Biohazards: Unpasteurized juice can contain biohazards such as Listeria, E. coli and Salmonella. These bacteria can cause infections which can lead to food poisoning, and pregnant women are particularly prone to the risks associated with them.
- Unregulated: It’s important to remember that unpasteurized juice is unregulated, so it can often contain a number of chemicals, preservatives or artificial flavors that could be dangerous to your health.
- Testing: It’s important to test the juice before drinking, as it can contain high levels of sugar, acidity and unhealthy bacteria which can be dangerous to consume.
Overall, there are both positives and negatives when it comes to drinking unpasteurized juice while pregnant. It’s important to understand both the risks and benefits before making a decision, and always to ensure that the juice you are drinking is tested before consuming.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.