Confirming a Pregnancy with a Doctor Visit
When you first suspect that you may be pregnant, you may feel a range of emotions, such as excitement, anticipation, and apprehension. To confirm your suspicion and get the answers you need, a visit to your health care provider is the next step.
When to Visit Your Doctor
When you think you may be pregnant, it’s important to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. Because it’s important to start prenatal care early, most health care providers recommend scheduling an appointment as soon as you think you may be pregnant.
When Is the Best Time to Visit the Doctor?
Because pregnancy symptoms can occur as early as two weeks after conception, visiting the doctor as soon as you suspect that you may be pregnant is recommended.
During your appointment, your doctor will ask you questions about your medical history and perform tests to help determine if you are pregnant. It’s also a good idea to make a list of questions to ask during your visit. Common questions may include:
- How do I know if my pregnancy is healthy?
- When should I schedule my next appointment?
- What routine tests should I expect to have during my pregnancy?
What Tests Will My Doctor Perform?
Your doctor may perform a variety of tests to confirm your pregnancy. Tests may include:
- Urine test : In this test, your doctor tests your urine to determine if you are pregnant by looking for an increased level of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin). hCG is a hormone produced during pregnancy.
- Blood test : A blood test can detect higher levels of hCG than a urine test.
- Ultrasound : Ultrasound imaging is the most reliable way to confirm a pregnancy. An ultrasound uses sound waves to create a picture of the developing baby in the uterus.
While the thought of a doctor’s visit can be nerve-wracking, it’s important to confirm your pregnancy as soon as possible. Doing so will help you receive the best possible care to ensure your baby’s health and well-being.
If you think you may be pregnant, contact your health care provider and schedule an appointment today.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.