Best Laxative For Pregnancy
Constipation is a frequent problem during pregnancy, caused by elevated levels of progesterone which make it difficult to have regular bowel movements. It is important to choose the best laxative to prevent any complications or harm to the baby. The following are the best laxatives that are known to be safe and effective during pregnancy:
Bulking agents are a type of laxative that work by increasing the bulk in your intestines, contributing to a softer and easier passage of stools. Examples of these include:
- Psyllium husk: this fiber supplement adds bulk to stool allowing it to move more easily through your intestines
- Metamucil: this fiber supplement can be used as a bulking agent as it absorbs water and expands, making it easier for stool to pass through your intestines
- Fiber supplements: fiber powders like Citrucel are also effective bulking agents which help to soften and add bulk to the stools.
Stool softeners are a type of laxative that work by making stools softer and easier to pass. Some examples of stool softeners include:
- Docusate sodium: this is the active ingredient in over-the-counter stool softeners like Colace and Surfak. It can be used to help relieve constipation and make it easier to pass stools.
- Oils or emollients: mineral oils, olive oils, and others emollients like castor oil can be used to help soften stools.
Lubricant laxatives are substances that coat the stools and help them to pass more easily. Examples of lubricant laxatives include:
- Mineral oil: this oil can help to reduce friction in the digestive tract, which makes it easier for stools to move through the body.
- White petrolatum: this is a type of petroleum jelly that can help to coat the stools and reduce friction making it easier for them to pass.
While laxatives can be effective in treating constipation, they should only be used under the guidance of your healthcare provider. Overuse of laxatives may cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalances, which can be harmful to both you and your baby.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.