#Side Back Pain During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is an exciting journey, however there can be undesirable issues that occur. One problem during pregnancy can be side back pain. Not only is back pain common during pregnancy but experienced by about half of all pregnant women especially during the third trimester.
##Causes of Side Back Pain During Pregnancy
Side back pain during pregnancy can result from a combination of several factors, but the main cause is due to the increase in the hormone relaxin. When relaxin increases, ligaments throughout the body become more loose, making the pelvis less stable and creating pain in the spine, hips and sacral area. Some other potential causes include:
* An increase in the size and weight of the uterus
* Stretching of the round ligaments
* Postural changes
* Poor body mechanics
##Joint Dysfunction and Pregnancy-Related Side Back Pain
Joint dysfunction can often exacerbate side back pain during pregnancy. Joint dysfunction can be caused by musculoskeletal imbalances, movement compensations and lack of mobility. For example, if a pregnant woman has an imbalance in her shoulder girdle musculature and keeps them at a forward position, this could lead to an over-extension in the lumbar spine and the thoracic spine. This type of activity often leads to an increased amount of pain in the lower back.
##Preventing Side Back Pain During Pregnancy
Although side back pain is common during pregnancy, there are some steps you can take to help prevent or reduce the likelihood of it occurring.
* Exercise regularly – Exercise during pregnancy helps to strengthen and support the spine while improving cardiovascular fitness.
* Posture – Good posture during pregnancy is important since it helps to reduce additional stress on joints in the spine. This will include avoiding slouching and standing tall.
* Practice proper body mechanics – Good body mechanics can help to reduce the amount of strain or stress on the spine while pregnant. This could include using the core muscles when lifting objects and avoiding activities that require you to twist your spine.
Pregnancy can be a joyful and exciting experience for many people, however side back pain is a condition commonly experienced by pregnant women. The main cause of side back pain during pregnancy is the increased hormone relaxin, but other associated factors could include an increase in the size and weight of the uterus, stretching of the round ligaments, postural changes, and poor body mechanics. In order to reduce the likelihood of experiencing side back pain during pregnancy, women should make sure to exercise regularly, practice proper posture and body mechanics, and avoid intense physical activities.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.