Understand Itchy Legs During Pregnancy
Pregnancy can bring about numerous physical changes in a woman’s body and can cause a lot of discomfort in addition to a sense of joy. These include changes that may occur in the skin, like itching. Itchy legs during pregnancy is a common complaint and can cause a lot of distress.
Causes of Itchy Legs During Pregnancy
Itchy legs during pregnancy can be attributed to a few causes:
- Hormone Level Imbalance: The hormones in a pregnant woman’s body rise and fluctuate during pregnancy and this can cause the skin to become dry and itchy. As the hormones fluctuate the skin can become red and inflamed.
- Stretch Marks: As the baby grows in the womb, the skin can become stretched to its limits and cause stretch marks to appear over the belly, legs, and buttocks. Stretch marks can cause severe itching and may also cause reddening in the skin.
- Skin Ailments: During pregnancy, the skin can become more prone to fungal and bacterial infections. Nasty rashes and allergic reactions may also be observed which can cause severe itching. Pregnancy hormones may affect the functioning of sweat glands leading to increased sweating and itching.
Management and Care of Itchy Legs During Pregnancy
Taking care of itchy legs during pregnancy can be done with the help of following measures:
- Moisturize Regularly: Proper moisturizing with natural oil like olive oil or coconut oil can help soothe the skin and nourish it from within. Gently massage your legs so that the oil is well absorbed by skin.
- Wear Comfortable Material: Wear comfortable clothing made from light and breathable materials like cotton or linen. This can reduce sweating and absorb the body moisture keeping the skin dry.
- Keep the Skin Cool: Taking cool baths and showers can help to reduce itching sensations. Softly pat the skin after a shower and let the skin breathe.
- Consult Doctor: In case of persistent itching, consult a doctor and get an advice. For most cases, a mild ointment or topical cream may be prescribe to temporarily suppress itching.
It is important to take proper care of your skin during pregnancy as the skin can be vulnerable to infections and irritation. Keep the skin well hydrated and clean to avoid any skin problems and lessen chances of itching.
Welcome to my fertility blog. This is a space where I will be sharing my experiences as I navigate through the world of fertility treatments, as well as provide information and resources about fertility and pregnancy.